The Department of Geography 和 Geology at SHSU offers a GIS 研究生 Certificate Program developed to provide students with GIS skills required in today's job market. The GIS certificate curriculum is developed with the objective of providing a solid foundation in GIS theories 和 applications. 学生 enrolled in the GIS Certificate program at SHSU will learn to use technological tools 和 skills in their areas of expertise 和 in several major application areas. This includes the use of GIS in infrastructure management, the oil 和 gas industry, 公共卫生, 规划, 和 business applications. The curriculum will provide students with h和s-on experience in major GIS 和 remote sensing vendor-specific 和 open-source software packages, 如ArcGIS,ERDAS公司想象, Geoda, 和融合. 学生将学习:
- different spatial data structures 和 their essential properties;
- principles 和 methods for collecting spatial data;
- principles of map design 和 effective cartographic communication;
- methods of spatial analysis, ways spatial data can be used to investigate complex problems; 和
- how to customize GIS software to meet organizational needs.
The program is intended to serve:
- recent graduates who wish to acquire technical expertise to support the knowledge gained in their undergraduate major;
- returning students who wish to acquire specialized training to meet current or future job requirements; 和
- students at the graduate level who wish to demonstrate a level of mastery of the subject area by obtaining a certificate.